So, how do you feel about murder?! Well, more specifically a murder mystery dinner party lol! When my daughter came to me and said she wanted a birthday party for her 16th birthday, I’m fairly certain I groaned! The idea of having a bunch of teenagers to entertain was frightening. But, we settled on having a murder mystery party game with several of her friends!
Let me just start off by saying, I hate kids’ birthday parties! Ok, hate might be a little strong, but it’s darn close to how I feel about them! And, I really don’t enjoy the pressure we moms put on ourselves to have the perfect birthday party, the cute thank-you-for-coming bags, the great games, etc. I’m shaking my fist at Pinterest because the birthday party game has been seriously kicked up a notch! For many years we have gotten away with easy birthdays! We’ve had intimate family gatherings, or bring a friend for a fun weekend away, or if lucky, we would be out of town on vacation and could incorporate a fun vacation day into the birthday celebration. But, now she wanted a sweet 16 birthday party…
Our Murder Mystery Party Game
But, after much talking and planning, the party was a blast! My daughter and her friends had a lot of fun, and guess what, I didn’t stress out! Win-win!! She wound up choosing a murder mystery party game from Shot in the Dark Mysteries. Eight teenage girls having fun and laughing (a lot!) ~ what an awesome night!
Here’s what I loved about it
- Inexpensive! As parties go, this was an inexpensive way to go. We spent about $40 on the murder mystery party game package, which I think is pretty reasonable!
- Easy to plan! Because you’re buying a prepackaged party, it gives you all the info you need to organize your party. But, even though it’s preplanned, the party is flexible enough to fit your needs.
- Natural flow to the event. As is typical for us, the party revolved around food. So, with the appetizers, we introduced the murder and let the girls mingle and discuss. And, with dinner, we implemented a “no murder talk” at the dinner table policy, which seems like a pretty reasonable policy! And, during dessert, the girls finished their detective work.
- Conversation and laughter! Obviously, conversation with eight teen girls is not going to be a problem! But, they made sure the clues were discussed and figured out. 🙂
- Good, clean fun! Because good, clean fun is always a great option for a group of teens! I think I’ll be looking for more opportunities for these kinds of gatherings!
So, if you are looking for a good, clean, fun way to entertain a group of teenagers, a murder mystery party game might just be it!
Here are some of the products we used
Here are a few links to get you started
Shot in the Dark Mysteries (no affiliate, just a lot of fun!)
Have you thrown a great party for your teens? Share your fun in the comments!