So, how do you feel about murder?! Well, more specifically a murder mystery dinner party lol! When my daughter came to me and said she wanted a birthday party for her 16th birthday, I’m fairly certain I groaned! The idea of having a bunch of teenagers to entertain was frightening. But, we settled on having a murder mystery party game with several of her friends!
Let me just start off by saying, I hate kids’ birthday parties! Ok, hate might be a little strong, but it’s darn close to how I feel about them! And, I really don’t enjoy the pressure we moms put on ourselves to have the perfect birthday party, the cute thank-you-for-coming bags, the great games, etc. I’m shaking my fist at Pinterest because the birthday party game has been seriously kicked up a notch!
For many years we have gotten away with easy birthdays! We’ve had intimate family gatherings, or bring a friend for a fun weekend away, or if lucky, we would be out of town on vacation and could incorporate a fun vacation day into the birthday celebration. But, now she wanted a sweet 16 birthday party…
Our Murder Mystery Dinner Party
But, after much talking and planning, the party was a blast! My daughter and her friends had a lot of fun, and guess what, I didn’t stress out! Win-win!! She wound up choosing a murder mystery dinner party from Shot in the Dark Mysteries. Eight teenage girls having fun and laughing (a lot!) ~ what an awesome night!
Here’s what I loved about it
- Inexpensive! As parties go, this was an inexpensive way to go. We spent about $40 on the murder mystery party game package, which I think is pretty reasonable!
- Easy to plan! Because you’re buying a prepackaged party, it gives you all the info you need to organize your party. But, even though it’s preplanned, the party is flexible enough to fit your needs.
- Natural flow to the event. As is typical for us, the party revolved around food. So, with the appetizers, we introduced the murder and let the girls mingle and discuss. And, with dinner, we implemented a “no murder talk” at the dinner table policy, which seems like a pretty reasonable policy! And, during dessert, the girls finished their detective work.
- Conversation and laughter! Obviously, conversation with eight teen girls is not going to be a problem! But, they made sure the clues were discussed and figured out. 🙂
- Good, clean fun! Because good, clean fun is always a great option for a group of teens! I think I’ll be looking for more opportunities for these kinds of gatherings!
So, if you are looking for a good, clean, fun way to entertain a group of teenagers, a murder mystery dinner party might just be it!
Here are some of the products we used
How to Host your own Murder Mystery Dinner Party
If you think you might be interested in hosting your own Murder Mystery Dinner Party, here are a few pointers:
- Assess your group – How many guests? What’s the gender make up? How creative are they? If you get a boxed off Amazon, such as How to Host a Murder party, they have a set number of guests – typically 4 male and 4 female characters. If you want your party to be different than that, then you can go to a site like Shot in the Dark Mysteries and design your own party.
- Decide on the flow of the party – what food and when, plan appetizers for the beginning when everyone is meeting and introducing their characters, a meal (we had a “no murder talk” meal so the girls could just be friends for a bit, then a dessert to wrap it all up.
- Figure out your space to work with – we used our dining room for the meal and the living room for the appetizers and desserts. It helped spread everything out and was easier to set up ahead of time.
- If you are hosting, it might be easier to not be a character – but that is completely up to you!!
- Decorations – however much your budget and space allow. We used shower curtains as our backdrops because they are so much cheaper than “real” backdrops!
- Keep it relaxed and have fun!! This is your murder mystery dinner party, so make it what you want it to be!
Here are a few links to get you started
Shot in the Dark Mysteries (no affiliate, just a lot of fun!)
Have you thrown a great party for your teens? Share your fun in the comments!